Welcome to the Cairns-Darwin One-way 4X4 Tagalong Tours itinerary page, our tours start on specific dates and these may be seen below.
Cairns-Darwin (one-way) 4X4 Tagalong Tours
Day 1: Meet and greet and vehicle induction in Cairns, QLD at 0700hrs.
We depart Cairns approximately 0900hrs for Undara Lava Tubes. https://www.undara.com.au/
We aim to reach camp with ample time to complete an afternoon adventure tour and wildlife at sunset tour.
Day 2: Today is a big day so we get off to an early start, which provides the added bonus of a beautiful outback sunrise experience. Our first stop for morning tea is at the Cumberland Chimney.
We depart Cumberland Chimney for the banks of Norman River for our first opportunity to land the elusive Barramundi, before heading to Karumba for the night.
On the way to Karumba we stop at Normanton to see the Big Barramundi and Krys a replica statue of the world’s largest crocodile ever caught.
At a whopping 8.64m Krys is an imposing figure and stark reminder to remain Croc Wise. https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/livingwith/crocodiles/crocodiles__be_croc_wise.html
Day 3: Today we visit Camp 119, the most Northerly camp of the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition. We then head west to the beautiful Leichardt Falls before making camp on the outskirts of Burketown. Tonight we are treated to a guided tour of the outback stars http://www.burketown.com.au/tours/stargazing-with-a-cultural-twist/PRZBD3
Day 4: Today we depart Burketown for the banks of the beautiful Gregory River. Here we can swim and relax in the crystal clear croc-free waters.
Day 5: Today we head for Adele's Grove https://adelsgrove.com.au/ via the Riversleigh Fossil Site https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/boodjamulla-riversleigh/about.html.
Riversleigh is the richest mammal fossil deposit in Australia and one of the most significant fossil sites in the world. We will undertake a self-guided tour to discover fossils dating back as far as 25 million years including turtles, crocodiles, birds, snakes and many mammals.
Day 6: We spend a second night at Adele's Grove today so we only have a short drive to Lawn Hill Gorge (Boodjamulla NP).
You can choose to relax around camp, take one of the many self-guided walks, swim or explore the gorge by canoe https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/boodjamulla-lawn-hill/.
Day 7: We are now deep into Gulf country and well off the beaten track. You will notice the considerable change in road conditions with ample corrugations, patches of deep bulldust and endless red dust.
Our camp tonight is on the Banks of the Robinson River in the Northern Territory, approximately 110km from Borroloola, which will provide a good opportunity to catch a Barramundi for tonight’s dinner.
Day 10: Today we camp on the banks of the Roper River just outside the community of Roper Bar.
Day 11: Today we stop at the gorgeous Mataranka https://matarankahomestead.com.au/ and Bitter Springs, to relax and swim, before camping the night at the Mainoru Store on the outskirts of Arnhem land.
Day 12: Today we head into the remote wilderness of Arnhem Land for our camp at Nhulunbuy on the Gove Penisula.
Day 13: We don't have to pack up today, so we will make the most of it and visit the Buku-Larrnggay Mulka Centre https://yirrkala.com/. There will also be more opportunities for fishing and sightseeing.
Day 14: Today we depart Nhulunbuy for Burluguy (Rocky Bottom Creek) campsite.
Day 16: Today we depart Arnhem Land after touring another cultural/art centre, the Injalak Arts and Crafts Centre https://injalak.com/ in Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) . We will pass over the infamous Cahills Crossing on the East Alligator River before participating in a tour of the Ubirr Rock Art Site https://parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/do/rock-art/ubirr/ in the World Heritage Listed Kakadu National Park.
Day 17: Today we undertake a Yellow Water Cruise https://parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/do/tours/yellow-water-cruises/ in the Ngurrungurrudjba billabong near the small community of Cooinda. Here we will see numerouse crocodiles, water buffalo and abundant bird life including; jabiru, brolgas, sea eagles, magpie geese and much more. We will be spending tonight at the Corroboree Park Inn.
Day 18: Today is our final day. We finish the tour in Darwin after a sunset cruise and dinner on the Darwin Harbour.
What’s included in your 18-day Cairns to Darwin Tagalong Tour:
- A fully equipped and capable Land Rover Perentie 4x4 vehicle including; double bed, 30L 12v Waeco fridge, crockery and cutlery, camp chairs, table, lighting, annex, 240 volt power inverter and recovery gear)
- Fully catered (breakfast, lunch and dinner, tea and coffee).
- All National Park entry and camping fees
- Resort fees
- All Indigenous Land access, camping and fishing permits
- An Undara Lava Tube (Archway Explorer) Tour
- An Undara Experience Wildlife at Sunset Tour
- Yellow Waters Wildlife Cruise
- Adelaide River Jumping Crocodile Cruise
- Darwin Harbour Dinner Cruise
- Ubirr Aboriginal Rock Art Tour
- The services of a passionate and enthusiastic tour leader with over a decade of experience as a Parks and Wildlife Ranger working across South Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland
- Tips and assistance on 4x4 driving, camping, fishing, campfire cooking and much more
- UHF radio and emergency first aid kits are supplied in all vehicles. Spot tracker emergency beacons are also carried by our experienced and 1st Aid trained tour leaders
- Minor mechanical and electrical repairs
- Bush shower
- Bush toilet
- The use of a range of field guides and books on local flora, fauna, culture and history
- The use of fishing rods and tackle
- An edited tour video to relive the adventure
What you need to bring:
- Personal toiletries (please bring environmentally friendly soaps and shampoos)
- Snacks and drinks (Alcohol is welcome, however there may be restrictions on what and how much can be taken into Indigenous communities, please discuss with your tour leader)
- Pillow, sheets/sleeping bag
- Camera, fishing gear, binoculars, torch/headlamp
- A sense of adventure
A detailed list of required and recommended personal items will be provided to you in your information pack upon booking.