Welcome to the Darwin-Cairns One-way 4X4 Tagalong Tours itinerary page, our tours start on specific dates and these may be seen below.
Darwin-Cairns (one-way) 4X4 Tagalong Tours
Day 1: Meet and greet and vehicle induction in Darwin, NT at 0700hrs.
We depart Darwin at approximately 0800hrs for Kakadu National Park where we will take a tour of the Ubirr Rock Art Site https://parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/do/rock-art/ubirr/. If time and tides permit we will cross the infamous Cahills Crossing to visit the Injalaka Arts Centre.
Day 2: Today we venture through Kakadu seeing numerous cultural and natural wonders of the World Heritage area. We undertake a Yellow Waters Billabong cruise before setting up camp for the night at Mardukal campground. Whilst on our boat cruise we will see numerous crocodiles, water buffalo, Jabiru, Brolgas, Magpie Geese and more.
Day 3: We head south through Kakadu NP and have lunch at Gunlom Falls. We will be spending the night in Katherine and have an opportunity for a dip in the Katherine Hot Springs.
Day 4: Today we head into the remote wilderness of Arnhem Land. We will be driving up the Central Arnhem Road to the township if Nhulunbuy on the Gove Peninsula. We will be here for four nights to give us an opportunity to appreciate the area, including some time for fishing and relaxing.
Day 6: Today we have an itinerary free day and night around Nhulunbuy. Some people may choose to relax around town, venture off to some secluded beaches or head of on a fishing charter.
Day 7: Tonight, is our last night in Arnhem Land. We will venture around the Gove Peninsula Today and explore the region including the beautiful Bariŋura (Little Bondi), Ŋumuy (Turtle Beach) and Garanhan (Maccassan Beach).
Day 9: We depart Mataranka for our camp on the banks of the Towns River.
Day 11: We depart King Ash Bay for camp at Hell's Gate Roadhouse.
Day 13: Today we depart Adels Grove for our camp on the banks of the Gregory River. On our way we will stop for a swim and explore of the beautiful Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) Gorge. We will also visit the World Heritage listed Riversleigh Fossil site https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/boodjamulla-riversleigh/about.html.
Day 14: Tonight we camp on the banks of the Albert River on the outskirts of Burketown. Tonight we are treated to an Indigenous Guided Tour of the outback stars http://www.burketown.com.au/tours/stargazing-with-a-cultural-twist/PRZBD3.
Day 15: After leaving Burketown we stop at the beautiful Leichardt Falls for morning tea. Lunch will be at the most northerly camp of the ill-fated journey of Burke and Wills. After lunch we pass through Normanton, the home of Krys the croc a life size replica of an 8.63m crocodile killed in 1957. Tonight's camp is in Karumba where we will be able to enjoy a beautiful sunset of the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Day 16: After leaving Karumba we stop for a fish on the banks of the Norman River for our last chance of landing the elusive Barramundi. We spend tonight camped alongside the Cumberland Lagoon. You will want to dust off your binoculars for the birdlife around dusk.
Day 17: Today we head for Undara Experience where we will undertake an Archway Explorer Tour and a Wildlife at Sunset Tour https://www.undara.com.au/. In between the two tours we will have ample time to explore the surrounds, have a drink in the amazing railway carriage bar/restaurant area or cool down in the pool.
Day 18: We end our tour today when we arrive in Cairns. All guest are welcome to join us for a celebratory drink and meal for the evening.
What’s included in your 18-day Darwin to Cairns Tagalong Tour:
- A fully equipped and capable Land Rover Perentie 4x4 vehicle including; double bed, 30L 12v Waeco fridge, crockery and cutlery, camp chairs, table, lighting, annex, 240 volt power inverter and recovery gear)
- Fully catered (breakfast, lunch and dinner, tea and coffee).
- All National Park entry and camping fees
- All Indigenous Land access, camping and fishing permits
- Ubirr Riock art guided tour
- East Alligator River Cultural Tour
- Yellow Waters (Cooinda) Billabong Cruise
- An evening stargazing tour with a local Indigenous (Gangalidda) Guide from Yagurli Tours.
- An Undara Lava Tube (Archway Explorer) Tour
- An Undara Experience Wildlife at Sunset Tour
- The services of a passionate and enthusiastic tour leader with over a decade of experience as a Parks and Wildlife Ranger working across South Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland
- Tips and assistance on 4x4 driving, camping, fishing, campfire cooking and much more
- UHF radio and emergency first aid kits are supplied in all vehicles. Spot tracker emergency beacons are also carried by our experienced and 1st Aid trained tour leaders
- Mechanical and electrical repairs
- Bush shower
- Bush toilet
- The use of a range of field guides and books on local flora, fauna, culture and history
- The use of fishing equipment and yabbie/cherrabin pots
- Souvenier Fishing/Outdoor Shirt
- Edited tour video
What you need to bring:
- Personal toiletries (please bring environmentally friendly soaps and shampoos)
- Snacks and drinks (Alcohol is welcome, however there may be restrictions on what and how much can be taken into Indigenous communities, please discuss with your tour leader)
- Pillow, sheets/sleeping bag
- Camera, fishing gear, binoculars, torch/headlamp
- A sense of adventure
A detailed list of required and recommended personal items will be provided to you in your information pack upon booking.