Welcome to the Gulf Country 4X4 Tagalong Tours itinerary page, our tours start on specific dates and these may be seen below.
Gulf Country 4X4 Tagalong Tours
Day 1: Meet and greet and vehicle induction in Townsville at 0700hrs.
Depart Townsville approximately 0900hrs for Undara Experience and the Undara Volcanic National Park https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/undara-volcanic/.
Tonight, we will undertake a ‘Wildlife at Sunset’ tour at approximately 1700hrs.
Day 2: We start the day with a hearty breakfast and a tour of the Undara Lava Tubes (Active Explorer Tour) http://www.undara.com.au/.
Following our lava tube tour, we depart Undara for the Gilbert River after a break for lunch at the Cumberland Chimney.
The large historic Cumberland Chimney is all that remains of an old crushing plant and stands as a reminder of the regions gold rush era.
The chimney sits beside a lily filled lagoon which makes for a scenic stop and provides a great opportunity to observe the area’s birdlife.
Day 3: Today we drive to Karumba, the only town on the Gulf situated immediately along the coast.
On the way to Karumba we stop at Normanton to see the Big Barramundi and Krys, a replica statue of the world’s largest crocodile ever caught.
At a whopping 8.64m Krys is an imposing figure and stark reminder to remain Croc Wise while on and around the water.
Day 4: We depart Karumba and again pass through Normanton before stopping for lunch at Burke and Wills Camp 119, the most northerly camp on their ill-fated journey.
Our camp tonight sits on the banks of the Albert River on the outskirts of Burketown so there will be an opportunity to fish for the elusive Barramundi for tonight’s dinner.
Day 5: Today we will look around Burketown before heading to Lawn Hill Gorge (Boodjamulla National Park) https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/boodjamulla-lawn-hill/index.html.
While at Lawn Hill we will have the opportunity to canoe, swim and walk to take in the magnificent scenery and wildlife of the area.
Day 6: Today we only have a short drive to Miyumba Bush Camp so there is plenty of time for you to relax and soak in the beautiful surroundings.
You can choose to relax around camp, take one of the many self-guided walks or explore the gorge by canoe.
Day 7: We start today with a visit to the World Heritage Riversleigh Fossil Site D https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/boodjamulla-riversleigh/about.html
Riversleigh is the richest mammal fossil deposit in Australia and one of the most significant fossil sites in the world. We will undertake a self-guided tour to discover fossils dating back as far as 25 million years including turtles, crocodiles, birds, snakes and many mammals.
After the tour, we will make our way to Mt Isa.
Day 8: After a visit to the Underground Hospital Museum http://www.ww2places.qld.gov.au/places/?id=975 we depart Mt Isa for camp at the Kynuna rest area adjacent to the famous Blue Heeler Hotel.
On our way, we stop at Cloncurry, and visit the John Flynn Place Museum and Fred McKay Art Gallery http://www.johnflynnplace.com.au/, the birthplace of the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) and also stop for a refreshing drink at the McKinlay Hotel, now better known as the Walkabout Creek Hotel from the well-known Australian movie Crocodile Dundee.
Day 9: Today we leave Kynuna and head to Combo Waterhole (Combo Conservation Park) https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/combo-waterhole/about.html reputedly the inspiration for 'Banjo' Paterson to write Waltzing Matilda, Australia’s most popular folk song.
After leaving Combo Waterhole we head for Bladensburg National Park https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/bladensburg/ and the Bough Shed Hole camping area on the banks of Surprise Creek.
Day 10: Today we head to the Australian Age of Dinosaurs for an Ultimate Dinosaur Experience http://www.australianageofdinosaurs.com/
After our tour, we head to Porcupine Gorge National Park north of Hughenden. Porcupine Gorge is referred to by many as Australia’s Little Grand Canyon https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/porcupine-gorge/.
We aim to reach camp with ample time to complete the scenic walk to the bottom of the gorge in the late afternoon as the weather begins to cool.
Day 11: We start today with a hearty breakfast before we depart on our final leg toward Townsville for the end of the tour.
Tonight, we all gather for the last time over an evening meal which provides an opportunity to reflect on the journey and reminisce about the tour highlights, mishaps and laughs.
What’s included in your 11-day Gulf Country Tagalong Tour:
- A fully equipped and capable Land Rover Perentie 4x4 vehicle including; double bed, 30L 12v Waeco fridge, crockery and cutlery, camp chairs, table, lighting, annex, 240 volt power inverter and recovery gear)
- Fully catered (breakfast, lunch and dinner, tea and coffee), except while at the Mt Isa Rodeo.
- Entry and camping at the Mt Isa Mines Rotary Rodeo
- All National Park entry and camping fees
- An Undara Lava Tube (Active Explorer) Tour
- An Undara Experience Wildlife at Sunset Tour
- Entry into Kronosaurus Corner
- Entry into the John Flynn Place Museum & Fred McKay Art Gallery
- The services of a passionate and enthusiastic tour leader with over a decade of experience as a Parks and Wildlife Ranger working across South Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland
- Tips and assistance on 4x4 driving, camping, fishing, campfire cooking and much more
- UHF radio and emergency first aid kits are supplied in all vehicles. Spot tracker emergency beacons are also carried by our experienced and 1st Aid trained tour leaders
- Minor mechanical and electrical repairs
- Bush shower
- Bush toilet
- The use of a range of field guides and books on local flora, fauna, culture and history
- The use of yabbie/cherrabin pots
What you need to bring:
- Personal toiletries (please bring environmentally friendly soaps and shampoos)
- Snacks and drinks (Alcohol is welcome, however there may be restrictions on what and how much can be taken into Indigenous communities, please discuss with your tour leader)
- Pillow, sheets/sleeping bag
- Camera, fishing gear, binoculars, torch/headlamp
- A sense of adventure
A detailed list of required and recommended personal items will be provided to you in your information pack upon booking.